I designed this a year or so ago while being bored in Geometry class. Be warned, it's not for the beginner! You should at least be able to fold a frog base (preferably from memory) before attempting this model.
1. Begin with a square.
2. Fold a frog base in the color you want the
finished model to be.
3. Sink one of the small flaps. Repeat on an
4. Step 3 completed with the middle
5. Now flip to a remaining flap...
6. And valley fold the side like so. Repeat
7. Step 6 completed. Repeat on the other
flap side (it should be adjacent to this one).
8. Steps 6 and 7 completed.
9. Flatten the middle part.
10. And valley fold the side flaps like so. This
is vaguely similar to making a kite base.
11. Open out the side and pull out the small
flap as far as it will comfortably go. Repeat
on the other side.
12. Step 11 completed. These are the arms.
13. Fold the bottom point up like so.
14. Flip the model over.
15. Valley fold to one side.
16. And valley fold the side again. Repeat on
the other side.
17. Step 16 completed on both sides.
18. Turn the model over again and fold the
top point down 1/3 of the way to the tip of
the belly flap. Crease well.
19. Now the hard part begins. Open out the
tail flaps folded in step 16 as well as the
back leg flaps.
20. And begin to open up the model! It helps
to stick a finger up into the model.
21. Flatten out the top along the creases
formed in step 18. This will become the
22. Collapse the model back to its previous
shape, except for the top point which is
squashed down. The model will now lie flat.
23. Now focus on a side. Reverse fold the
first two layers as shown (I apologize for
blurriness!). Repeat on the other side.
24. Step 23 completed on both sides.
25. Flip the model over.
26. Fold the top bit down. Note the reference
27. Swivel fold like so. Repeat on the other
28. Step 27 completed on both sides.
29. Turn the model back over and fold the
top corner down. Note the reference points.
30. Fold the corner back up to pleat. Repeat
on the other side.
31. Step 30 completed on both sides. These
are the ears.
32. Now open up the belly flap....
33. And fold both corners to meet the center
line! Then fold the tip of the belly flap to the
edge of the two folded corners.
34. Step 33 completed.
35. Reverse fold the feet and mountain fold
the sides to narrow them.
36. Open the feet up and fold the tip inside
to shorten them.
37. Step 36 completed. The tips of the feet
have also been reverse folded.
38. Turn the model over and rabbit-ear the
39. Mountain fold the sides of the back.
40. Open up the tip of the tail, curve it, valley
fold the feet forward and you have....
The adorable finished Mew!