This is a bit misleading in that it looks like I succeeded. Here's what I did: I cut up several small pieces of newspaper and used Mod Podge to plaster them to my shoes. the result seemed workable: a waterproof surface, but hard as a rock. The moment I put them on they cracked. It's probably because there were so many layers. If you used larger squares and maybe less layers it might work.
Otherwise..they're for show. If your shoes dont smell like a cow's rear, they'd make good wall decorations. You can see where I taped them :D.
Anywho. So I bought new shoes to actually wear, and painted robots on them. Yes indeed.