Turn a plain T-shirt into a cute dress or beach coverup!
I bought this T-shirt at Michael's, with a 40% off coupon, so this project was super cheap! You could use a shirt in your stash, or find one at a thrift store.
I usually wear a small or medium shirt. So I bought an extra large. I was able to use the sleeve sections to cover my bust because I am a 34B. Happy Crafting!
- Orsolya K. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 26 Aug 12:44
- Craft_manic 2016 favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 21 Aug 21:22
- Barjaa B. added Neon T Shirt Reconstruction to DIYS 28 Jun 18:27
- Holly C. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 27 Apr 17:04
- Cheshire x. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 20 Jun 09:27
- Susan G. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 17 Jun 16:05
- Kendell V. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 27 Aug 23:53
- Samantha C. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 13 Aug 01:12
- nikki_ze_chicki favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 06 Aug 09:24
- Erika R. favorited Neon T Shirt Reconstruction 03 Jun 17:11
1. You will need a very large tshirt. Cut off the sleeves, cut along the side seams, and then cut a straight line right below the neckline. The sleeves will become the top of the dress, and the large chunks will become the body of the dress.
2. Take the two sleeves you cut off, and cut the side seam of the sleeve open on each of them, and lay them flat. This will give you a nice long strip of fabric. (This will be the top of the dress, so test the rectangle pieces against your bust for coverage. As in-measure from your bra band to however high you want to cover your bust.) Cut out 2 identical rectangle pieces. Don't cut off the finished sleeve hem- later you can use this as the top hem on the dress.
3. Match up the top (previous sleeve) portions with the matching body (large chunk) portions.
4. Sew (right sides together) the top pieces to each body piece. Then sew up the side seams entirely.
5. Sew elastic for the waist/under bust. Sew it it straight onto the dress, stretching the elastic as you sew. (If you hate working with elastic, you could also belt the dress here while wearing it instead.)
6. Trim access and turn dress right side out. My shirt was stretchy enough not to need top hem elastic, but if you need it, just feed it through the top hem.