My unique Dutch idea to String Art!
I've seen many beautiful creations of String Art from people with their home states in America. So I created my own with where I'm currently living... The Netherlands! Using the Dutch flag colours and a map style as my background. The heart being Orange as thats also a pretty Dutch colour for the football and for the Queens Day.
- emmabota73 favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 25 Oct 21:46
- English Ginger entered her project My String Art Of The Netherlands to Cherry Walls 24 Jan 20:04
- Zombie Babe favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 25 Nov 08:20
- Eva A. added My String Art Of The Netherlands to Projects to try out 07 Sep 23:40
- firstname.lastname@example.org added My String Art Of The Netherlands to art 25 Aug 22:06
- Hannah F. favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 21 Aug 14:07
- Hello Sweet Taco favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 13 Aug 13:46
- CazSteele favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 20 Jul 23:09
- Sara H. added My String Art Of The Netherlands to TO DO 01 Jul 04:35
- Lindsay R. favorited My String Art Of The Netherlands 23 Jun 21:44
I started with a canvas and went to the local DIY store to get a piece of scrap wood cut perfectly into place there and then. I did this because I chose to use nails instead of pins.
I drew the outline of The Netherlands by hand with pencil onto the canvas and chose to paint it with the colours of land and water.
I made Germany and Belgium grey as the Netherlands was the main country. I started hammering the nails in 1cm apart from each other. I made a little pencil mark of the places that the nails had to go in first to make sure it would be equalled out.
Close up of my hammering skills and the 1cm distance apart, they are not too crooked hehe!
Nails all hammered in!
I see with most string art from America that they put the heart where they are from in that state. I'm living in Rotterdam around the southwest of the heart but I chose to put the heart in the middle as it was easier for the string to be straight to the middle and more equal overall (expecially with the little corner down south!).
Here's that little corner! I chose the colours of the NEtherlands flag of red, white and blue and made it equally going around in that order from start to end. Looks fantastic with the colours together!
I chose Orange for the middle colour to wrap around my heart (I weaved it in and out of the nails above the red, white and blue cotton to be the focus point). Orange being the football team colour and from the national holiday of Queens Day (The previous Queens birthday).
I superglued the tiny ends of the cotton to another piece at one of the nails and its not noticable at all. I can't wait to make another one!