I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while and I finally got it! It took a few hours and some hard thinking, but I have used this purse a lot already and it is pretty sturdy!
First I cut off the bottoms of the 2 records that make the outside of the purse. I put the oven on Broil and then put the record on a cookie sheet. As soon as the record flattened a tiny bit in the oven and was obviously softer, I took scissors and cut across the record until it got hard again. I repeated this until the record was cut straight across. Then for the bottom of the purse, I cut across the record so that the label still shows, also so that it was at the widest point of the record. Do not try cutting or sawing the record without the oven, they break. I figured this out the hard way. :)
After the records were cut, I used a drill to make holes all around the border of the records. I put a piece of wood under the record and it went quickly. It was also pretty fun.
Then I stitched the bottom of the small piece to the larger record pieces with ribbon. I made my ribbon by hand by burning fabric because I like the rougher edges, but any black ribbon should work. After that I put ribbon all around the tops of the records.
Then I stitched t-shirt material to the sides of the purse (through the holds I already drilled) so that it will open and close properly. I used thin cording for this, and I just made sure it was stitched into place really well on the sides and bottom.
Before you add the lining, be sure to drill holes for the snap that goes on the top. (both sides of the bag)
Here I stitched a little leather strip to one side and then stitched a snap on the top of the leather strip and the receiving end of the snap into the bag on the other side where I drilled the holes.
Then I drilled 2 more holes on opposing sides of the bag to add hooks for the purse straps. I also colored the gold hook things black to match. :)
I then made a rectangle bag to stitch into the purse for the lining. I used the same thin cording that I used to stitch the t-shirt material to the sides of the record and I think it turned out really well.
Then I added some purse straps I had from another purse and it's done! I am really pleased with this project, if I am unclear about some of my directions, send me an email or comment! :D