This is one of my son's favorite songs that was was popularized by The Rolling Stones in the late 60's and that he first heard on the the movie "Fallen" starring Denzel Washington as the song is prominently featured and an inherit part of the plot.
Pun intended, when carried around it is to look like "Time Is On My Side".
My son learning to play this on a guitar and I have heard the first chorus about 1,000 times already.
The original vision I had was to make a working clock/music holder but decided against as I don't think a working clock would handle the trip back and forth to his Dad's every weekend without some sort of plastic face or covering over the front and I wanted to keep the look gritty and time worn.
Parts used to make this project:
- Broken guitar (my son's first guitar which I found busted by his closet)
- Broken clock that I have had for 10 years and hanging in my kitchen for the past 5.
- Cracked 45 record (it is actually a 45 of "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith)
- Glue gun and about 10 glue sticks
- Cardboard from Diet Coke cases to make the back and sides and two strips to reinforce the back
of the face of the guitar.
- 2 popsicle sticks to reinforce the back where it was broken
- Old keyring from broken one to add to attach the strap on the end
- A small piece of jewelry wire twisted around the end of the keyring, poked through the
cardboard then taped down with packing tape on the inside.
- Old tie - from a free box at a garage sale over 15 years ago
- Printout of 1-12 and the words "Time Is On My Side" and "The Rolling Stones" that I printed off
from at the library for 5 cents as I do now have a printer.
Here is are some more pics of the process finished item.
The sides and the back of the original guitar were too broken up to be useable so I used them as templates to re-make the pieces out of the cardboard (Diet Coke box).
I ended up having to use the front of the guitar on the cardboard to make the template for the back.
Here is a pic of the side layed out on the cardboard and it worked out that the side of the box was the right width (and the front of a box made 2 pieces for the side). It is wider than the actual piece as an inch or so on each side was needed to glue it to the front and the back.
Here is pic of the sides being glued to the front of the frame. In order to get the sides to curve properly, I had to cut on the edges about 1/4 inch apart and glue down small sections at a time with the glue gun so it would curve properly. You can also see in this pic the popsicle sticks used to reinforce the front where it was previously broken.
Here is a pic of the finished back
Here is a pic of my son pretending to rock with it
Here is a pic of the finished top