About this project
You Will Need
- Reasonably Priced
CraftsDressmaking • Patchwork & Quilting •
This is the first garment I've made from scratch, and one of the few I'm brave enough to actually get some wear out of!
I measured my hips and drafted out a paper pattern for the yoke, cutting 4 pieces, ironing interfacing to stiffen.
The 'corset' lace-up detail was a pretty spontaneous addition! Fitting all the eyelets was fiddly, especially as I didn't eyelet pliers at the time, they were all hammered in with the little plastic punch you get with the kits (to the expense of my fingers- ouch!)
The skirt was totally improvised- I cut and hemmed pieces and pinned them together to see how they worked. At this point I had left the bottom edge of the yoke un-stitched, and top stitched once I was happy with the skirt panels. The pink fabric I had in mind was a little too bright, so I stitched some of the black netting over the top to tone it down a bit.
As you can tell in some of the pictures, the yoke is a little 'boxy' on my waist and hips, and has the tendency to ride up. I think this is partially due to the nature of the material, but also the pattern pieces were fairly rectangular- hopefully a few darts should encourage it to sit better. I find it stays put better when I wear a corset or tighter fitting top with it. Although I'd fitted a zip it had the tendency to come undone, so I fitted an additional hook and eye to keep my modesty intact :)
Thanks for looking!