Cleaning out the garage, I found a broken globe (one half was cracked and the other still intact) and a pair of cute but really uncomfortable kids shoes. I stuck them into a pile until inspiration hit and turned them into planters. For the globe, I sprayed it with several layers of clear coat (because it's not made of a water worthy material), added potting soil (already equipped with drainage hole) and rescued a hosta that was growing too big for its spot. I used a mismatched saucer to keep the globe planter steady. For the shoes, I drilled a few holes through the soles for drainage, added potting soil and planted tiny succulents I found in the yard.