Simple Lightweight Fabric Headboard
I was only interested in aesthetics and price. I just wanted to eliminate the look of the bare wall behind my bed at minimal cost. Also, I no longer have an outdoor space where I can work with materials like wood and paint. Fabric seemed like the best option but I couldn’t decide how to use it. Luckily, I already had two yards of different Ikea fabrics that had been waiting over a year for just the right project. I first tried to just tack the fabric directly onto the wall but that looked terrible and unfinished. However, it made me realize that one yard of fabric was the perfect size for a queen bed.
I also thought about making a large quilted pillow from the fabric and hanging it from a curtain rod, but my sewing skills are basic at best. I then formulated the slipcover idea and planned on nailing together three wooden boards for a basic frame underneath. Then a walk through the hardware store gave me the idea to use PVC pipes instead. They were cheaper, lighter and no nails required! Total cost of this project (since I already had two yards of fabric) was $11.87!
Check out my simple tutorial.
MATERIALS (FITS A QUEEN SIZED BED)
• Two yards of fabric cut into two one-yard pieces.
I only used two different patterns because that’s what was on hand but I like having a reversible headboard!
• Straight Pins
• Sewing Machine
You could do this by hand as well…it’d just take longer.
• Three 1.25" PVC pipes (Two 53" and one 50")
Have the hardware store cut these to size for you.
• Two 1.25" PVC 90 degree elbow joints
- Amy E. favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 25 Sep 04:09
- marilyn.steckly favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 24 Apr 01:17
- TARA R. added Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial to must try this 06 Jan 01:12
- d l. added Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial to To-make list 08 Dec 21:01
- KarmaHappens favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 15 Nov 16:21
- Valerie R. favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 28 Jun 20:45
- Irene Wildfox added Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial to Home 09 Jun 14:54
- sepsisdna added Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial to household 12 Feb 09:21
- GabriELLE favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 26 Jan 04:20
- Valerie L. favorited Diy Fabric Headboard Tutorial 17 Oct 20:18
Lay the two pieces of fabric on top of one another wrong sides out. Pin in place and sew together on three sides. (Leave the bottom open.) You should also iron your fabric. I forgot this step and had to do it later on.
Using the elbow joints, join the PVC pipes together. The 53" pipes are the sides and the 50" pipe is the top.
Your frame should look like this.
Turn your fabric slip-cover inside out and slide over the PVC frame. Then just place your headboard behind your bed! (Here are the two patterns I used.)