For Halloween, inspired by the fantastic Star Wars blogger Jennifer Landa (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2011/05/23/star-wars-vlogging-with-jennifer-landa/),
I decided to be the Death Star!
Luckily, on one of her blogs, she posted how she made the dress, so it wasn't too hard at all.
1) Paper Mache the giant ball with a flour/water/glue mixture (or whatever you like) and let it dry thoroughly.
2) I covered it with Gorilla Tape at this point, to keep it stable. I had to wear it to a bar for my University's Halloween celebration, and I didn't want anyone breaking it.
3) sand it for a smooth surface.
4) paint with light gray spray paint.
5) cut out the panels from index cards, and spray paint them black, with a little bit of darker gray over them.
6) glue the panels onto your Death Star, and use the yellow paint to create little lights on the panels, like people are still there, teehee.
7) I did a covering of glue and a bit of water at this point (moooore glue than water) to make sure that everything stayed on.
8) Enjoy!! Add in little details (Jennifer wore a TIE Interceptor in her hair, and I wore a stormtrooper one night, and a darth vader toy another night.)
Original project can be found here: http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2011/07/29/death-star-cosplay-dress/