super simple coffee cardboard recycled wreath tutorial
It's Wreath Week over at Dollar Store Crafts! Great timing, as just a few days ago, in a burst of Christmas decorating, I made a wreath of my own... using the cardboard sleeves from disposable coffee cups.
I hate the waste of disposable coffee cups. But coffee is also an essential part of my morning commute, and sometimes I forget my stainless steel coffee thermos. I started to collect the coffee sleeves in a drawer of my desk at work - partly to remind myself how much waste builds up over the course of a year - and partly to reuse them at a later date in some craft project that I'd eventually dream up.
The variety of colours and textures that these things are made of is actually quite lovely. Like little swatches of cardboard.
I also have a bit of a history with cardboard coffee sleeves: a couple of years ago, I made a whole quilt out of coffee sleeves.
I didn't take any step-by-step photos while I was making the wreath, but it is super easy to make. Here's how...
- Lee B. favorited Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 18 Aug 04:20
- Jousie N. added Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath to Misc 28 Jun 11:52
- Anakin O. favorited Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 21 Apr 06:24
- rehanna.ahmed.7 favorited Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 16 Dec 20:39
- Nobody Special commented on Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 03 Dec 20:46
- Nobody Special added Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath to Christmas decorations 03 Dec 20:45
- Nobody Special favorited Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 03 Dec 20:45
- Victoria R. added Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath to Christmas Projects 22 Nov 07:38
- Victoria R. added Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath to Want to Try 22 Nov 07:05
- Kathryn B. favorited Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath 04 Oct 12:48
Plug in your glue gun!
Cut out a ring of cardboard from the back of an old cereal box. I used two bowls to outline the circles before cutting. You really don't need to be very precise though, as the circle will be totally covered when you're done.
Take your cardboard coffee sleeves, and cut out leaf shapes. You don't need a template for this either. Try to vary the sizes of the leaves, so you can tuck some little ones in among the larger leaves.
With your glue gun, put a dab of glue on a leaf, then stick it down onto the ring. You want to glue onto the "advertising" side of the cardboard (ie. where it says the name of the coffee shop), so the finished wreath is plain cardboard.