My inspiration was my daughter who is always bringing creepy crawlies home. We made them together which was so much fun. Baking is easy and simple. Its also cheap once you've got all the larger ingredients as they go very far.
Also these were super yummy.
1.Preheat the oven to 180Â°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160Â°C | Gas Mark 4) and place 12 cupcake cases into a cupcake tray.
2.Using a whisk beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
3.Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Add the vanilla essence if using.
4.Carefully fold in the flour (and baking powder if using).
5.Bake in the oven for 10 - 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, then back in the oven for a few minutes more. Don't overcook the cupcakes otherwise they will dry out. Allow cupcakes to cool.
Now the fun part...
1. Pour some icing sugar into a bowl. Add a few drops of water. Mix well.You dont want it too runny.
2. Add a few drops of green food colouring- mix well. Your icing should be runny enough to pour off a spoon onto cupcakes but still quite thick or it will never try or be able to hold the bug legs in.
3. Pour a teaspoon of icing onto each cupcake- swirl the cupcake slowly until completely covered.
4. Sprinkle on the chocolate sprinkles and add two sweeties as eyes. I used hard shelled chocolate for ours.
5. Cut your licorice strands into 6 small legs for each cupcake. Dont make them too long as they will be difficult to set into the icing.
6. Insert the legs around each cupcake. You may need to hold them a little while or push a little to get the icing to hold them. Once there in, be super careful with the cupcakes until they are dry- its so annoying when the legs fall out!
7. Place in fridge to dry. I left mine in overnight.
Have fun with your decorations if you run out of licorice strands as we did. We made lots of different patterned ones.
Put your army into formation for the party table.
Enjoy! They may look a bit creepy but they are so tasty.