I was in a complete panic a few days before my wedding, because I was not having much luck at all making a veil/headpiece that I thought would go with my sort of retro/casual dress. Also, I discovered that french netting is a bitch! Haha. I had to keep stitching through the whole yard and a half to gather it and then try it on and then take it out and trim it and do it again... really, I probably wasted 5 hours just on that part! But once the veil was a nice shape, I still had not idea what to put it on!
I remembered the gorgeous floral applique I had purchased (I originally thought of putting it on my black satin shrug, in order to dress it up a bit, but decided against it.) I carefully traced around it on a piece of white poster board, then cut that out. I covered that with a scrap of white satin fabric and used that as a base. Then I took some white saddle feathers I had, and thankfully they were already stitched together, so I just glued them on, making sure that they were facing with the curve in the direction I wanted. Then, I glued the actual applique on top of the satin base, and added the black hair clips to keep it in place. Finally, I carefully attached the veil after testing it out to see how to arrange it properly.
I love the finished product, I wish I could find more reasons to wear it. =P