1) Cutting out the pattern
The pattern for medium size is available using the links below:
- <a href="http://attachments.cutoutandkeep.net/boycutback.pdf">boycutback.pdf</a>
- <a href="http://attachments.cutoutandkeep.net/boycutfront.pdf">boycutfront.pdf</a>
If you need a size other than medium, you can up or downsize from this pattern
- cut out one front
- cut out one back
- cut out one crotch piece (included on the boycutfront.pdf)
Finish the seams
- Because you're working with knit, it won't fray, but I like to finish some of the seams just for appearance sake. Use a zigzag to finish the short ends of the crotch piece.
- I set my machine to zigzag for the entire process in fact. It's much nicer to sew a zigzag on knit fabric. This allows the knit to stretch properly and since underwear undergoes a lot of stress, zigzag is best!
Attach the pieces
- Sew the front and back (right sides together) at the crotch seam.
- Place the crotch piece (wrong sides together) centered in between the front and back pieces. Fold the leg seams down twice to make a hem. Pin and then stitch. This should secure the crotch piece in properly. If it doesn't quite fit, it's knit, it'll stretch!
Side Seams and Top Casing
- fold your front and back pieces so that the side seams are matched (right sides together). Stitch side seams.
- Fold down your top casing 1/4 of an inch and press. Then fold down another inch to form a casing. Stitch around the edge making sure to leave a few inches open to insert the elastic.
Insert Elastic and Decorate
- you might want to try on your pair of boy cuts in order to get an accurate measurement. Since I'm making these to stock in my shop, I measured my own hips. Remember that these panties fit low (around the hips) when measuring.
- insert elastic into casing using safety pins. Sew elastic together and then sew the casing opening shut.
- Decorate however you like!