Fantastic Little Balls Of Joy =)
I got a pancake puff pan at Bed, Bath & Beyond last year, tried it once and the outcome was awful.
So I searched the net for tips and tricks and have mastered a traditional Danish Aebleskiver recipe and techniques for ensuring that they are absolutely perfect.
Enjoy. I would love to see what 'yall come up with.
- Agnes S. favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 14 Jun 13:34
- acid favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 27 Mar 11:50
- Teresa v. favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 10 Aug 10:51
- Teresa v. added Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) to favourite Recipes 10 Aug 10:50
- Monica M. commented on Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 29 Jul 20:05
- kiki w. added Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) to pancakes 17 Jul 17:46
- kiki w. favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 17 Jul 17:45
- LoperDoper favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 01 Feb 18:36
- Mariah K. favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 20 Aug 04:57
- Coco C. favorited Aebleskiver (Pancake Puffs) 22 Jul 17:25
First what you will want to do, is gather all of your ingredients and get those going.
- in a medium bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- in a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- add all remaining ingredients (except egg whites) and beat until smooth.
-Fold in egg whites until well blended.
now it's time for the pan...
-Heat aebleskiver pan over medium heat, or until drops of water sizzle when dropped in the cups.
-using about 1 tablespoon of batter fill greased cups(I use a pastry brush to brush a mixture of oil and cooking spray to coat each cup) of pan about half full. ( batter will rise in pan).
-cook until lightly brown on bottom or until bubbles form in batter (2 to 3 minutes).
-you will then make 1 of 3 turns.
-using a knitting needle or wooden skewer lift up one side of puff until batter runs out to fill cup.
-cook until lightly browned or until bubbles form in batter (2 o 3 mintues).
-repeat step three 2 more times.
-each time letting excess batter fill cups (all in all the extra batter will create the ball shape).
(in this picture this is the 3rd turn to complete the aebleskiver)
-continue cooking until your flipping tool (knitting kneedle, skewer, etc.) comes out clean when inserted.
There are many different ways to serve aebleskivers, the traditional way is to serve them topped with warm rasberry preserves and powdered sugar. But you can roll them in cinnamon sugar, maple syrup (any pancake topping).
I have been working with some other recipes lately including a banana fritter recipe that is topped with warm peanut butter. Let me know if you would like that recipe.
Enjoy, and Happy aebleskiver making to all of you!!!