New! Enter our Secret Santa Christmas contest now »
  1. Posted · Edited

Craft » General

Hot glue gun?

Started · Last post · Displaying all 19 Post
    Too hot glue gun or not glue gun?

I am considering buying a hot glue gun. I currently use UHU glue, which works on most things but can be stringy.

Would a hot glue gun prevent this stringy-ness?

I know it's not a huge investment but saving pennies is important these days!

Thanks.
  2. Posted
    Hot glue can be stringy- but its usually pretty easy to remove the strings.
  3. Posted
    Yes after it dries it's not stringy
  4. Posted
    most dollar stores stock the glue sticks for after you buy the gun.
  5. Posted
    target and walmart always have them in stock....and they're cheap
  6. Posted
    i got the cutest mini hot glue gun at michaels for like $3!

they can be stingy but if you press down on the project before lifting up the glue gun it kind of eliminates some of the strings!
  7. Posted
    Michael's has a great selection of hot glue guns- they even have them low temperature so you can use them on more delicate things. They have mini and big ones. They're great. They also run a lot of coupons like "40%-off-one-item" very often, so I use those to buy my glue. =)
  8. Posted
  9. Posted
    I read a couple of days ago that blowing a hairdryer over your project gets rid of the strings. Hot glue is definitely my preference. It dries faster and sticks really well.
  10. Posted
    hot glue guns are great if you are a generally impatient person like me. It dries pretty fast, is pretty stringy as well. I would get it. it is inexpensive and great for a fast DIY fix
  11. Posted
    hot glue guns are great if you are a generally impatient person like me. It dries pretty fast, is pretty stringy as well. I would get it. it is inexpensive and great for a fast DIY fix
  12. Posted
    i absolutely love my hot glue gun. i use it for everything! i would def. recommend you invest in one. :)
  13. Posted
    deffo buy one!! mine was about £3 and i can get the refills for £1 for 8, so not expensive!! I use it for everything! and while it can be stringy, like others said, it will just pull off once it's dried. :D
  14. Posted
    I have a large & mini Hot glue gun and a small warm melt glue gun. At a craft show, a vendor was gluing with NO strings. I watched him for quite awhile, then asked what brand his hot glue gun was. He said the brand did not matter as most people do not let their gun get hot enough before using it which is why you get strings.

I now let mine heat up for a long time before trying to use it. You will get glue running out and feel like you are wasting glue but there will be less or NO strings when using it.

Before buying a new gun, try this first.
  15. Posted
    Be careful with the high temp hot glue guns my mum bought one and accidently dropped some glue on her fingers and she came out in big blisters. I reccomend a low temp one :)
  16. Posted
    Yay - bought my glue gun. Decided to go for it. Only used it a couple of little times but the difference is amazing.

Thanks for all your advice.
  17. Posted
    my dad has a glue gun with different nozzle sizes, mine has only one size which makes it tricky for gluing small things.
    also sometimes mine smokes on certain fabric (some felt) apparently the glue has gotten too hot?
  18. Posted · Edited
    Argos were doing a hot glue gun and 10 glue sticks(3each gold & silver glitters,1yellow,3red) reduced to £2.99 for anyone who is tempted. (i already have one but i still managed to come home with one...)

Also DoCraft stockists were doing 12 packs of clear glue for £1.49 quite recently.
  19. Posted
    Hot glue guns come in handy more often than not... it's definitely a good thing to have around. :) I dont think the strings are too bad; they're pretty easy to pick off when it's dry.

Yay for hot glue guns!